Apple & Walnut Salad
- 3 Belgian endives, separated into leaves
- 1 head blond frisée lettuce, separated into leaves
- 1 head radicchio, leaves torn from ribs & thinly sliced
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries
- 2 medium Empire or Northern Spy apples, cored & cut into thin wedges
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 oz (115 g) brie, cut into eight 1/2-inch (1-cm) slices
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) House Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
In a large salad bowl, combine the endives, frisée, radicchio, watercress, walnuts, cranberries and apples; toss gently to combine.
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Place the flour on a plate and firmly press both sides of the brie slices in the flour until well coated. Shake off excess flour.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and carefully add the brie slices. Cook for 1 minute on each side. Remove the brie from the pan and drain on paper towel.
Add the House Vinaigrette to the salad, toss well, and season with salt and pepper. Divide the salad among plates and top each serving with a slice of fried brie.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped red onion
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
In a blender, combine the onion, olive oil, canola oil, rice vinegar, sugar, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until creamy, about 1 minute.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (375 mL). Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 5 days.