It takes minutes to throw together, especially if you use canned chickpeas, and homemade hummus tastes so much better then store-bought that you'll never go back to buying ready-made.
Arugula & Fennel Salad
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- 6 cups tightly packed baby arugula
- 1/3 house vinaigrette (page 244 in Earth to Table Every Day)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, shaves with a vegetable peeler
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp buttermilk dressing (page 243 in Earth to Table Every Day)
Trim the stems off the funnel bulb and peel off any blemished outer layers with your fingers. Cut the fennel bulb in half from top to bottom and cut out the core of each half. Slice the fennel crosswise as thinly as you can, or shave it with a mandoline.
In a large salad bowl, combine the fennel, arugula, and house vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper and toss together.
Serve garnished with parmesan, lemon zest, sunflower seeds and a drizzle of buttermilk dressing.
Recipe from page 49 in Earth to Table Every Day