It takes minutes to throw together, especially if you use canned chickpeas, and homemade hummus tastes so much better then store-bought that you'll never go back to buying ready-made.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Chocolate sauce, for topping
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt until frothy. Add the coconut and mix until evenly coated.
- Form the coconut mixture into 6 golf-ball-size balls with your hands or an ice-cream scoop and arrange on the lines baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
- Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled drizzle with chocolate sauce. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Makes 6 macaroons.